Tactsenze is a communication technique based on tactile stimulation. Here’s how it works for a visually impaired musician:
- The conductor holds a baton equipped with a light source which is captured by an infrared camera.
- The video signal is copied and coded to tactile impulse information.
- The impulses are sent to a ”pin plate” under the musicians foot. 2500 one cm pins move vertically under the musicians foot.
- The pattern sent to the pins is a mirror image of the conductor’s baton movements. The transfer is in nearly real-time.
- The musician can now read the conductor’s intentions and play along with the other musicians in the orchestra.